Friday, January 16, 2009

Frugal Friday: Where to Grocery Shop?

Like many of you (as I suspect), I'm relatively new to being frugal. I've only been married a little over 8 months, and have been clipping coupons & CVSing about that long. So, I'm still trying to figure a lot of things out - like where to grocery shop on a regular basis.

We live in a mid-sized city, so there are several grocery store options. I realize I wouldn't have this problem if I lived somewhere smaller - but I can choose between Aldi, Walmart, Bi-lo, Ingles, Publix, and a few others I don't usually consider.

Typically, Aldi is my fallback. I try to buy all my staples there, and have a price list so if I'm somewhere else, I know whether or not the other price beats Aldi. If a week is especially busy, Aldi is the only place I go.

After Aldi is where it seems to get confusing. Bi-lo, Publix and Ingles all double coupons, and all seem to have at least one really great deal every week. For now, I'm trying to skim the three ads, see which one looks most appealing for the week, then hit that one store after I go to Aldi. (I always go to the other store after Aldi because I never know when Aldi might be out of something they normally carry - last week it was spinach!) Currently, I'm finding I can get the best deals if I can go to Aldi and one other grocery store every week.

What about you? How do you handle multiple enticing grocery stores where you live? As I'm still learning, I'd love to hear how you do this!


3 comments:

momstheword said...

I think your Aldi is similar to our Winco.

I went to several different stores in my area and wrote down their prices (and sizes) for items that I buy.

In one store I had a couple of clerks hovering over me because at first I think they thought I was spying for the competition.

I found that Winco and Costco were the best stores for me to shop at. Winco does accept coupons (Costco doesn't) but they don't accept internet coupons.

I do use a pricebook and that has saved me so much money it's unbelievable. I used to just buy whatever I wanted. Now I stockpile when it's at a low, low price.

I keep my pricebook sheets in a folder along with store flyers, but I also have a little spiral notebook in my purse that contains the rock-bottom price for each item, so that I know if something is a good deal or not.

Lacy said...

Hey,

I found you via Frugal Hacker.....

My husband and I have started a website called www.weusecoupons.com. I'm creating a blog wall, full of useful blogs that have a frugal christian perspective! We have lots of blogs that are already on the wall like deal seeking mom, attention target shoppers, and many more.

If you're interested in placing your button on our wall, let me know!!

All we ask is that you place a link to our site in your links area.

Here is the blogwall url:
http://www.weusecoupons.com/index.php?pageid=blogroll


The button will also show up on our homepage randomly!!


If you have any questions please shot me an email!

Blessings,

Lacy
Admin @ www.weusecoupons.com

Javier said...

Bring this blog back! I loved it :)