Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Homemade Pizza

I'm always posting about making homemade pizza in my menu-planning posts, but I've yet to share our recipe. We've experimented with several crust recipes, but this one from my friend has become our staple. 

Whole Wheat Homemade Pizza Crust

1 package (or 1 Tbsp.) of dry active yeast
2/3 c warm water

Mix & let sit 5 minutes. Then add:

1 tsp. honey
1 Tbsp. olive oil
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 c. cornmeal
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. all-purpose flour

Knead dough - if it's dry add a little bit of water.
Let it rise until it doubles (about 30-45 minutes).
Punch the dough & let it rest 10 minutes.
Flatten into crust.

*Our favorite way to flatten is to spray the pizza pan(s) with Pam, then flatten dough. I then usually lift up one side at a time & sprinkle a little cornmeal under the dough.

We then usually just use tomato puree for the sauce, and add whatever toppings we'd like! I keep pepperoni, onions, and peppers chopped up in the freezer for our pizzas.

One other delicious addition to the pizza is pesto. This is normally a bit pricey, but a friend shared her homemade pesto recipe with me that is unbelievably easy, good, and much cheaper!

Homemade Pesto

1 c. spinach
1 c. fresh basil (We're growing this this summer, but I believe you could also give it a try with dried basil.)
3 cloves garlic
1/4 c. parmesan cheese
1/8 c. olive oil
2 tsp. lemon juice

Put all ingredients in a food processor/blender & process until it's a smooth paste. Yumm!!

Please leave a comment if you try these recipes - especially if you like them! :) I'd love to get some feedback - what works well for you when you make homemade pizza? Since this is a staple for us I'm always open to tips/ideas/suggestions!

No comments: